2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 4:43 PM
64
Likes

My dog just ate 12 days of Christmas from my daughter's milk chocolate Advent Calendar around Park Ridge. He's about 90 lb golden. Any advice? The whole box says 50 g my guess he ate 25 g.

43 Comments:

2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 4:44 PM

Take him to the vet ASAP , it’s poisonous for dogs

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 4:46 PM

Milk chocolate is better than dark. Just keep an eye on him. My vet told me to just monitor my dog after he ate a couple Hershey's kisses.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 4:47 PM

In general, the dose of hydrogen peroxide in dogs is approximately 0. 5 – 1 ml per pound weight. If your dog weighs 50 pounds, you can give 25 – 50 mls of fresh, non-expired hydrogen peroxide orally, once. Keep in mind that 15 mls = 1 tablespoon (or 5 mls = 1 teaspoon), so this would be approximately 1. 5 – 3. 5 TBSP. To induce vomiting

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 4:47 PM

Look up animal poison control and call them. The emergency vet made me call them from the room anyway. They'll tell you if you need to go in. Vee posted the number below

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 4:48 PM

They need a large quantity to be poisonous. my 50# dog ate half an all American cake from Costco and didn't even get sick!

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 4:48 PM

Call your vet.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 4:51 PM

A call to the vet won’t hurt. My parents 20# puggle ate an entire bag of Reese’s peanut butter cups a couple Halloweens ago. They said to keep an eye on him but they weren’t worried because it was milk chocolate.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 4:52 PM

I'd call you vet to be sure but my guess is he will be fine. He seems large enough where he'll probably be sick but not poisoned.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 4:59 PM

The worst that will happen is he'll get the shits don't worry I've been there. my hundred 40 lb dog actually ate three and a half pounds of chocolate and I freaked out cuz I always heard it was bad for him the vet said the chocolate that's bad for the dogs is Baker's chocolate

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 5:00 PM

My dog has a chocolate candy bar every evening for dessert.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 5:07 PM

As long as it isn’t dark chocolate he should be fine. He’s a big guy. Take to Er if dog start vomiting-

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 5:07 PM

He’s a big dog so he should be ok. But call vet and just ask. Last week my dog must of ate something (not sure what) and I just about gagged when I got home from work. I even threw his bed out.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 5:11 PM

He's a big dog I would think he's fine. Call the vet and they'll likely tell you to monitor him. I have a boxer who eats everything. I just had to bring her in about two weeks ago because she ate an 18pack of individually wrapped choc chip granola bars. Vet wasn't worried about chocolate though, the wrappers were the problem 😩

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 5:15 PM

My 30lb goldendoodle ate an entire container of brownies once. She was a little jittery but fine. I did call ASPCA poison control to determine she would be ok. It was $65 for them to tell me she’ll be good and to keep her hydrated 🙄 just be prepared for 💩💩💩

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 5:20 PM

My mini schnauzer once ate a whole plate of fudge while we were downstairs opening presents! 🎄🎁. It never bothered her one bit! 🙄

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 5:27 PM

My small dog once ate a candy dish full of Hershey's kisses, she very sick for about 6 hours. The er vet said keep an eye on her and don't giver any water. It was scary.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 5:29 PM

Labs are cement mixers. Ours ate a bulb one time. Took him to the vet he took an X-ray. There he said see that stuff in the middle there looks like potato chips. That’s your bulb. No food for 24 hours. You might see a little blood in his stool but he’s a lab I was flabbergasted The same dog ate vegetarian lasagne and a quarter stick of butter in a nano second out of my sisters in laws bag. Another time he ate Abig wheel of Brie not even so much as a burb. My wife called him pig lips. I love labs.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 5:35 PM

It’s dark cocoa or dark chocolate that is dangerous for dogs, like baking cocoa- milk chocolate will probably just give him diarrhea- my late 90lb yellow lab did this many holidays😂 he was always fine

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 5:42 PM

I had an 80 pound lab eat a batch of chocolate chip cookies that the neighbor brought over and she was fine.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 5:44 PM

Luckily there's barely any cacoa in milk chocolate. Usually no more than 10%. should be fine but u can call emergency vet and see what they say.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 5:54 PM

I have used the hydrogen peroxide solution, it works and saves about 500 in vet bills. As long as you catch it early, the dog will vomit it back up.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 5:58 PM

Call a vet for advice. blue pearl is open 24/7 they will give you the correct information as to what to do since they are the veterinarians not us. you don't want to mess around with that kind of stuff by asking public opinion. They will be happy to give you advice over the phone and they will let you know if it's something that warrants a visit . best of luck to your beautiful pup!

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 6:03 PM

CALL YOUR VET! THIS IS SERIOUS AND DO NOT LISTEN TO ADVICE OF NON PROFESSIONALS.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 6:04 PM

My Chesapeake Bay Retriever about 80 pounds has eaten more chocolate several times and was fine. Your dog is 90 lbs so should be fine. Might vomit. What is the worst so be careful of it, is sugar free gum. Even a little can kill any dog. Also my dog ate some wild cherries/berries of some sort once and wound up in Blue Pearl ER and could have died.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 6:04 PM

I would just watch your dog. I have had 2 dogs of mine ate a pound of chocolate kisses and nathing happend, I did know were they pooped for the next two days. would say if you give it to them everyday there would be an issue.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 6:12 PM

He will be fine! I grew up with several labs and now a pit bull, he will be fine.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 6:14 PM

My 40 lb dog ate a pound of Frango mints last year. I called an emergency vet. They said he'll be fine and gave me the signs to look out for. He barfed all night long. I kept in confined in one area and stayed up with him. He was completely fine the next day.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 6:34 PM

Mine did this exact same thing last week! Got the entire thing on day 2. 70 lb Shepherd and he was fine. The kids on the other hand. 😭

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 7:05 PM

He should be fine. My lab ate a whole box of Frango mints.  stick to his normal food maybe make him some boiled ground beef and rice. No treats or other junk food

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 7:08 PM

He’ll be fine-he’s a retriever. We’re on our 3rd lab and they’ve eaten tons of things and completely unphased. This year ours at an entire chocolate advent calendar AND 2 full doggy advent calendars. He’s fine! 🙂

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 7:35 PM

One of my neighbors dogs are several pieces of chocolate candy. She puked everywhere and had several seizures. She almost died because the owners didn’t take her right away. GO TO THE VET NOW

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 8:14 PM

My 7 lb chihuahua does this shit constantly. He is always fine. Your dog will be ok. I'm sure he will

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 8:27 PM

Make him throw it up.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 8:51 PM

Milk is less toxic than dark, but call vet for peace of mind

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 9:14 PM

Keep a close eye on if no problem then great if problem vet ASAP He may have diarrhea from it

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/14/2019 at 11:29 PM

He will be ok. Large enough dog. Would have to eat a whole lot more than that. My last basset ate a whole bowl of peppermint patties with the foil on them! Totally fine. Easy to find her foil poop the next couple days glistening in the sun in the yard 😆

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/15/2019 at 6:35 AM

We have had to induce vomiting several times with hydrogen peroxide with our 10 pound dog. You just need to catch it early.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/15/2019 at 7:10 AM

How is your doggy today. Hoping he is well!

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/15/2019 at 8:21 AM

I would consult your vet, but our Siberian Husky ate her way through the kids' Easter baskets and was fine.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/15/2019 at 8:43 AM

My 90 pound lab did the same thing exact thing last week. He ate about 18 pieces of milk chocolate and he survived.

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/15/2019 at 11:49 AM

My 90-100 lb dog ate a cosco size Nutella . he’s 💩 didn’t even change lol your pup should be fine I think it’s the dark chocolate that more dangerous

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/15/2019 at 2:26 PM

Put a diaper on him!

0 Likes
2 years ago on 12/15/2019 at 2:28 PM

This happened to us last year. Damn dog ate thru wrapping paper to get the chocolate. So. the darker the chocolate the more toxic it is. My dog ate a box of mixed chocolate, and we had to take her to the vet to get stomach pumped bc we could not determine how much dark chocolate she ate. Even if we said half the box was dark--it was a borderline toxic level. Had it been all milk chocolate, wouldn't have been a concern with the amount she ate. She had lovely poops for a good day or so. Also, there's a small window to induce vomiting. there is product you can buy to keep at home to do this. Here's a great calculator to decide on what to do. https://www.vets-now.com/dog-chocolate-toxicity-calculator/

0 Likes