1 year ago on 11/30/2016 at 10:00 AM

Anyone know someone who works for a car dealership and can pull a copy of my title from Wisconsin in Park Ridge? It only needs to be a copy of the title. Not the actual title. The DMV needs a copy. This weekend? Im willing to pay. I need a copy to switch the title from Wisconsin to Illinois so I can register my plates in Illinois. I've been spinning my wheels for months now calling the place I bought my car, calling Wells Fargo, going to the DMV. I keep getting pulled over. Fortunately the officers have had mercy on me and this nightmare. I can't get puled over again. Thank you.


1 year ago on 11/30/2016 at 10:11 AM

You only get the title once the car is paid off. If it's not paid off then the bank owns it still. If it is paid off then the dealer gives you the title (I think). If you need to switch plates just provide proof of residency and that should work. What is the dealer and bank telling you when you call?

1 year ago on 11/30/2016 at 10:21 AM

It would be a copy of the title. I already tried to switch plates and I have tried to get temporary plates while this gets sorted out. Illinois won't issue me new plates because the VIN is still attached to Wisconsin in the title. Wisconsin won't issue me plates—or even temporary plates— because we don't have a Wisconsin address.


1 year ago on 11/30/2016 at 10:29 AM

Holy crap. that seems like a bad loophole somewhere. You might need to drive to a WI DMV and show proof of IL residency?

1 year ago on 11/30/2016 at 10:30 AM

I think the only solution you have left is to burn the car in the woods somewhere and start over.

1 year ago on 11/30/2016 at 10:35 AM

It says you can provide a copy of the bill of sale and the loan agreement instead of the title if you are still paying it off. I found this in the document linked below. If the title is being held by an out-of-state lienholder, a copy of either the title, Certificate of Origin, outof-state registration or bill of sale and a copy of the loan agreement must be submitted in lieu of the title. For more information, please call 217- 782-6306. https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/vsd271.pdf


1 year ago on 11/30/2016 at 10:35 AM

I bought my car in wi too and lived in Illinois. There has to be a way.

1 year ago on 11/30/2016 at 10:45 AM

Thank you! The DMV didn't even tell me that was an option! They just told me to get the title. My final option was to set up a go fund me page to raise $9775 to pay off the car by the end of the week to get the title.

1 year ago on 11/30/2016 at 11:29 AM

That's strange considering you don't get the title until the car is completely paid off, and the lienholder is the finance company until then. It might be helpful to call someone at the Illinois Secretary of State's office versus talking to someone at the DMV.